To keep up to date with the latest UK Government travel advice, please visit and for the latest advice and sign-up for regular updates How often do you want to get emails? - GOV.UK ( .

If you are travelling on a non-British passport, please contact the relevant Embassy and/or Consulate for further information and travel advice.

Passport Validity

Your British passport must be:

  • Issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • Valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave France (check the ‘expiry date’)

Please check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018 and have a minimum of two blank pages in your passport.

Contact the embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.


At least eight weeks before you travel, it is advised that you should check the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) website for country specific health advice and information on vaccine recommendations and any current health risks or outbreaks, along with factsheets on how to stay healthy abroad:

Travelling with medication

If you need prescribed medicine for a health condition, talk to your GP or practice nurse about your travel plans at least two months before your departure date. They can tell you if you need to make any special arrangements.


If you already have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will still be valid if it remains in date.

The Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or EHIC entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as French nationals. If you do not have your GHIC or EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the NHS Overseas Healthcare Team on 00 44 191 218 1999 to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

It is important to take out appropriate travel insurance for your needs. A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance, and you should have both before you travel. It does not cover all health-related costs, for example, medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment, and non-urgent treatment.

Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) – NHS (

Travel Insurance

We consider adequate travel insurance with a reputable insurance company to be essential and as such we make it a condition of our contract with you. Your travel insurance should cover the cost of cancellation, medical expenses, loss of luggage or money, personal liability claims, participation in activities, costs of assistance (including repatriation) in the event of accident, injury, illness, or death.


ABTA provides customers with tips and advice on travel insurance cover which can be found on their website: Travel insurance | ABTA